Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kit


Once upon a time I thought that all cats were more or less the same -- four legged furred companions. That was before I was introduced to the idea that every so often, if you are very lucky you might find a special cat, a bud or a girlfriend. I am extremely lucky in that I have both a bud cat and a girlfriend cat.

Kit, is my special girlfriend cat. She decided that the first day that she met me. She was born under the trailer of a friend. At a very early age, Kit lost her mother as was adopted by the owner of the trailer. This wonderful and generous person bottle fed Kit and her siblings. The first time I saw Kit she fit into my hand. Before going to see her I was convinced that I didn't need another cat and was not going to adopt another one. That all changed the first time I held her. I picked up this tiny little kitten, held her to my chest and she purred. A tiny ball of fur purring in my hand, purred her way into my heart.

Before Kit I was not a big fan of female cats. I didn't think they had the personality that a male cat shows. Kit showed me just how wrong I was about female cats. She has more than enough personality for ten cats. From the first day she came to live with me, Kit let me know how it was going to be and that she now ruled the house. It was her house and I just got to share it with her.

I soon learned that she was more than just another cat. Kit had decided that we were going to be girlfriends and do all that things that girlfriends do together. She is seldom far from my side when I am home. If she thinks I need her special attention she will glue herself to my chest and touch her face to mine purring the whole time. It doesn't matter what kind of a day I've had, one minute with her purring in my arms is enough to brighten the darkest day.

Kit expects to share things with me as well, like my meals. She's not above trying to take food off my plate if I'm a little slow in sharing. To her way of thinking, that's what girlfriends do, they share. Other than being my girlfriend, Kit gave me another great gift, she gave me my cat bud and familiar, Steel, but that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment